Saturday, March 24, 2012

Evan Craft Interview

Evan Craft releases a brand new album on Tuesday called "Giants". I reviewed the album and thought it was awesome, you can read the review here. I also got to ask Evan a few questions about the new album, plus some background history on how he got started as a musician. Below is the interview, my question are in white and Evan's answers are in blue.



Can you give us a little background history on how you got started as a musician?

My dad bought me a guitar for my twelfth birthday. Shortly after, my youth group needed someone to step up as a worship leader and my friend Beau and I decided to give it a shot. God really blessed us and inspired us in those years.


Who are some of your musical inspirations?

Jimmy Needham. He has great melodies and wonderful chord structures, as well as deep and insightful lyrics displaying a thirst for God. I am a huge fan! Besides Jimmy, I grew up on DC Talk and Hillsong. I love John Mayer’s blues live recordings, too.


What would you say is the main message that you are trying to convey
with your new album "Giants"?

Obstacles happen. I’ve found myself up against things that are too difficult to deal with by myself and it is God who always gets me through. Zechariah 4:6 talks about how God’s Spirit will do what might or power cannot, whether it be healing a broken heart or inspiring a generation. God is bigger than any giant.


If you could tour with any band, who would it be?

Jimmy Needham again! I am pursuing this right now actually. Matt Kearney and Parachute are close seconds.


What is the best piece of advice that you have been given?

Not to compare myself to anyone else. God gave me a purpose and it is my own; different than the other six billion people on earth.


If you had to choose, what would be your favorite song on the new
album "Giants"?

My favorite song is “Reclaim”. It is the last song I wrote on the album and it is all about God’s heart to take back for His kingdom what the enemy has stolen; the innocent, the lost, the abandoned, the oppressed. God is using you and me to fight for them today. The song was overwhelming to write and it is humbling to be used as an instrument for God.


Where is your favorite venue that you have played at? Why?

Grupo Unidad Church in Tijuana, Mexico. We played for thousands of locals who were singing and dancing. I’ll never forget it. It was a great way to end a month long mission trip to Tijuana.


What music have you been listening to lately?

I love Spanish music! I’ve been hooked on a Spanish band, Jarabe de Palo. I also really love Hillsong’s Spanish worship albums.


Five Random Bonus Questions

1. What is your dream vehicle?

Any Audi. I love the way they look, and it would be a huge upgrade from what I drive today. Or a motorcycle.


2. If you had one day to do anything, anywhere, what would you do?

I would spend it venturing through a big city in South America or see Machu Picchu!


3. What is the craziest thing you have ever done?

I hitchhiked in France to go see WWII sights. I only made it through half of my plans though.


4. What is your favorite season? Why?

I love Christmas time, but I wish Los Angeles had a bit of snow.


5. If you could be a character in any movie, who would you be?

Liam Neeson in Taken. I want to be able to protect my future daughter like he did in the movie.


Is there anything you would like to add?

I hope everyone who hears the album gets to enjoy “No Hay Nadie”, the bonus song. It is a sneak peak of what is to come in the future!


You can find out even more about Evan on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments: