Saturday, March 17, 2012

Dave Barnes - Stories To Tell Album Review

Dave Barnes released his new studio album "Stories To Tell" on March 13th.


The album starts off with the lively song "White Flag". This song has a cool tropical music sound to it. That is the best way I can describe it! It seems like this song is something that you would dance to at the beach! It is almost Hawaiian sounding! Things slow down just a tad with the next  song "How Long". The chorus of this is really catchy, and I love singing along with it. Then comes "Mine To Love", the first single from the album. Dave wrote this sweet song song after he found out that him and is wife were expecting their first child. How sweet! :)

Things get a a little funky with the next song "Heaven Help Me". This song has an old school kind of sound that is cool at times but also a little odd at times. The next song on the album is "Love Will Be Enough For Us". As the title suggests, this song is more of a love song. It reminds me a lot of a country song with the message it tells, and also the sound.

As soon as the next song "Seventeen" started I knew I would like it. I enjoyed the simple sound that it has, and then it builds up to the chorus. I also loved the beat of this song. Things mellow out a little with the next song "Missing You". This song musically is good, with an pleasent and sweet sound. Although the lyrics of this song weren't exactly what I was looking for, they aren't bad at all, just not what I was looking for. I love the beat of the next song "Find Your Way Home". I would say that this song is probably my favorite on the album. The groove of this song is really fun yet relaxing, I am not sure how it works, but it does!


Then comes the self titled track "Stories To Tell". Just as the title suggests this song talks about the stories of life, mainly the good ones! I thought the title of the next song "Warm Heart In A Cold World" was pretty cool. The song is another sweet song that I am guessing Dave wrote about his wife, since the song says "My only woman / My angel girl". The last song on the album is "One Of Us". This song is a slower song with mainly just vocals and acoustic guitar. This song was also written for Dave and his wife's baby.

I thought that this album was pretty good, with a lot of great vocals. The thing that I didn't like as much was that most of the songs on the album seemed to be about Dave's life, which I can understand because I mean your life influences your writing a lot. I am just not in a place in my life right now where these songs really speak to me, although I am sure there are a lot of people that this album would pertain to. Anyway, I would give this album a 3/5 stars.

1. White Flag
2. How Long
3. Mine To Love
4. Heaven Help Me
5. Love Will Be Enough For Us
6. Seventeen
7. Missing You
8. Find Your Way Home
9. Stories To Tell
10. Warm Heart In A Cold World
11. One Of Us

1 comment:

DrummerBigJon said...

Thanks for the review!
-Jon