Friday, February 10, 2012

Pioneer - "Pioneer" Album Review

Pioneer released their self titled album on January 24th, 2012.


The first song on the album is a short intro song called "Clarity" that honestly I didn't think fit in right here. The next song is catchy rock song called "Lights". The lyrics that I really like in this song are "But something in the dark, set a flame within our hearts, It came to life and now we are burning down inside, It's safe to say, We'll never be the same, It's safe to say we were lost along the way". The next song on the album is called "Treason". The chorus of this song says "Love is what it takes to do what we've been up to, breaking from the darkness". After hearing this song only a couple times it was stuck in my head, which isn't a bad thing.

I really enjoyed listening the next song "Dreams" it is probably my favorite song on the album. I really love the message that this song has, plus I like the sound of it as well. The song talks about being complacent and not really living. The next song is "Whatever It Takes" and this song is another fun and energetic rock song with a message, which seems to be pretty much all of these songs. Haha Then there is another intro to a song, and unlike the previous one I thought this one fit in perfect and added alot to the next song "Reaching". It flows very well from the intro "Mantua" to the song "Reaching". Things slow down a bit with this song which is a good to change things up. I tend to get bored of an album when all of the songs have the same kind of sound, so slowing things down a little just breaks things up.


Then things pick back back up with the next song "Long Way Home". I love the build up at the beginning of this song with just vocals and some cymbals. This song is another one of my favorites on the album, mostly because of the beat! The next song on the album is "Better Days". This song has a nice sound, but more than that it has a great message. Once again I have favorite lyrics in this song as well, they are "I put all my faith in everything, That was bound to fade away from me, I can finally see, I used all my strength, To climb my way into the light again, Now better days are headed my way". That is just picking some of the lyrics in this song, I could easily put all of them!

The next song "Catharsis" is yet another one of my favorites. I love the sound but once again it is the lyrics that I really love. I won't keep sharing lyrics on every song, because then this post will be REALLY long, but I should! The next song "Coming Of Age" would be a great one to sing along to at a concert. I love the echoing "Waoh-oh-oh--oh-oh" along with the beat, very cool. Last but not least is the song "Kings In Rags". This song is slightly different than the other songs because it is mostly just singing and acoustic guitars. I actually really enjoyed this song, alot more than I thought I would.

Honestly this album surprised me quite a bit. Just hearing a couple songs and not paying attention to the lyrics I figured that the songs would be catchy and fun, but not really have good lyrics. I was totally wrong.
The lyrics were the best part of the album to me. Although I also enjoyed the music which was upbeat and fun, with great vocals. I would recommend this to fans of Hawk Nelson, Hyland or any other rock band that has meaningful lyrics. I would give this album a 4.5/5 stars.

No comments: