Monday, September 23, 2013

Interview With Josh Taylor Of Blimey Cow

I have shared many Blimey Cow videos with you guys over the years, since I am a big fan of theirs, Well today I get to share with you an interview with Josh Taylor!!! 


Along with being a star in Blimey Cow's "Messy Mondays" videos, Josh is also the primary writer, director and editor for the videos! I hope you guys enjoy the interview, my question are in white and Josh's answers are in green.



You guys have been making funny YouTube videos for quite a while now, but how did it all get started? 

Man, my siblings and I have just always enjoyed making videos. In 2005, when it finally became viable to easily upload videos to the internet, we jumped on it. I guess we've been making videos on and off since right around the time YouTube got started.


Where did the name Blimey Cow come from?

It was just the funniest thing we could come up with at the time. There really isn't a rhyme or reason to it. We needed a name, and we were young.


Your videos have become quite popular since you first started. From the beginning were you guys hoping to reach a lot of people with your videos? Or did it just sort of happen?

It all sort of feels like a blur now. Before we started Messy Mondays, we didn't ever think about trying to reach a big audience. They were just videos for friends and friends of friends. But we definitely tried to broaden the appeal when we started Messy Mondays in 2011. But even then, I don't think we really expected it'd get to where it is now. We thought our ideals and our brand of comedy was too niche. I guess we were wrong!


Where do you guys get your inspiration for the videos?

A lot of things inspire me. We started Blimey Cow because we were big fans of a show that had just started called "The Office," and we wanted to make a show in the same vein as that one. In the early days, I was really inspired by internet productions like Homestar Runner and Ask a Ninja. Now, I'm really inspired by musicians/lyricists and comedians. I like the music and words of Derek Webb and John Reuben-- they have influenced me a lot. And I love the comedy of George Carlin and Bill Hicks. I love the idea of taking really depressing thoughts and turning them into something that can be laughed about, and that inspires introspection.




What is your personal favorite Messy Mondays video?

Usually whichever one we are currently working on. But there are a few that I feel like really explain where I'm at right now, and it'll be cool to be able to look back years from now and have a way to know what I was thinking at the time. "I Don't Care about Poor People" is one of those videos. "Ten Things I Love More than God" is another. And I'll throw "Tough Love Your Enemies" in there too.


Other than making Blimey Cow videos, what do you do? 

I am a patent draftsman-- that's my full time job. I don't really have time for many hobbies unfortunately. Making videos is a hobby that takes up most of my free time! But I love doing podcasts, and I love playing board games. I'm hoping to get into HAM Radio soon.


If you had one day to do anything, anywhere, what would you do? 

Man, this is probably really lame, but I'd love to go to Disney World. I haven't been in so many years, and it just sounds so fun and relaxing.


How did you and your wife Kelli first meet?

We met at a party when I was 16 and she was 15. We became fast friends, but didn't start actually dating for another 3 years. It's a huge, long, convoluted story. Maybe we will tell it sometime!

Josh and Kelli Taylor

How long have you two been married?

Three years already! It's weird. It feels like no time at all has passed, but at the same time, I have a hard time remembering not being married. I love it. 


What is the piece of best advice that you've ever been given?

Oh wow. I really have no idea. Maybe just the idea that you can't change people. If you really take it to heart, it will change pretty much everything about the way you live your life.


Five Random Bonus Questions:

1. What is your favorite band?

Pompton Lakes and Copeland! 


2. Do you collect anything?

I collect board games, I guess! I used to collect vinyl records, but eventually I sold all of them and it paid for an anniversary trip to Colorado. People pay a lot for those things!


3. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see play the lead role as you?

I have been told I somewhat resemble Tom Hanks. And he's always been my favorite actor, so I guess him!


4. What is something that most people don't know about you?

I am an introvert! More so than I used to be. I think all of this video stuff has made me start channeling my "social energy" into "creative energy."


5. What is the craziest thing you have ever done?

Hmm... I don't really know! I don't really do too much crazy stuff.


Here is the latest Messy Mondays video! Just posted today, enjoy!





No comments: