Sunday, September 22, 2013

Candice Russell Interview

Candice Russell is a very talented musician who grew up singing in the church and made it all the way to American Idol, and her journey is just beginning. My questions are in white and Candice's answers are in pink.



Can you give us a little background history on how you got started as a musician?

Both of my parents are musicians so I grew up around music. I started singing in church choirs when I was just a little girl. When I was 14 I learned how to play four chords on the guitar, I wrote my first song that night and the rest is history! 


Who are some of your musical inspirations?

I love Kelly Clarkson’s voice and music style. I have also loved Carrie Underwood ever since she was on Idol. She is such a talented singer and I respect how she lives her life and how she has handled fame. 


What do you hope that your listeners get out of your music?

I hope that people who listen to my music feel encouraged by my lyrics. The songs on my album are all about life experiences that I have been through or watched the people around me go through. Some are about good, light hearted experiences and some about hard ones. These songs are all about how I got through those things and what I learned from them. I think a lot of people will be able to relate to the things I’ve been through and I hope these songs hit home for them and encourage, inspire and bring a smile to their face!


What was it like being of American Idol for Season 11?

Being on American Idol was a crazy experience. It was cool getting to see how the show worked behind the scenes and it was fun getting to meet the judges. When you decide to go on a TV show you are really putting yourself out there, my heart and my voice were out there for all to see! It was a good life experience but by the end of it I was emotionally exhausted and ready to take a nap!


Where do you typically get your inspiration for writing a song?

I get inspiration for my songs from everyday things that I go through. Every experience is a chance to write another song!


If you had to pick a favorite song from your debut album "So Much More", what would it be?

If I had to pick a favorite song I think I would pick “Loved By You”. It’s a song that was inspired by my grandparents and their love for each other. After 50 years of marriage my grandma lie in a coma dying of cancer, she was frail and wasn’t looking her best. My grandpa leaned over her and said “Jane, you’re still the best thing that’s ever happened to me, I love you.” And I just remember thinking...wow, that is true love right there and I hope I can have that kind of love someday too. So I love this song because it brings back the memory of my grandparents being together and I also just love singing it too J 


Where is your favorite venue or place you have played?

I had my debut concert at a local park in Wilsonville, Oregon. As I sang the sun was shining, kids were dancing and all the people I loved were there supporting me. It’s a very fond memory for me and so far it’s my favorite place I have played. 


If you had one day to do anything, anywhere, what would you do?

I would sing and play in Madison Square Garden! 


Five Random Bonus Questions:

1. What is your favorite movie?

Father of the Bride


2. What is something that is on your "bucket list"?

Sky diving!


3. Camping or Hotels?

Hotels


4. What is the craziest thing you have ever done?

I went parasailing at 800 feet in Hawaii. I loved it! 


5. What is your favorite color?


Pink


No comments: