Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Dara Maclean - Wanted Album Review

Dara Maclean is a contemporary singer and songwriter from Fort Worth, TX. She just released her sophomore album "Wanted" today.


Dara Maclean has a very unique sound that she describes as "70's Influenced Acoustic Soul Meets Modern Pop". If I were to describe her music with one word I would go back to the 70's and say that her music is groovy. I never listened to Dara's previous album "You Got My Attention", so I was not sure what to expect from this album.


Starting off I wasn't completely sold on Dara's music, it seemed a little too "poppy" for me. However after continuing to listen I was quickly drawn in by the beats and just the rhythm of the music. Listening to the music you can't help but tap your feet, and maybe even sway side to side. The music just make you want to move!

I surprisingly enjoyed Dara's voice, she has a nice rich tone that is pleasing to the ears. My only complaint is that at times it seems like she is trying too hard to sound different. I realize that is sort of the style she is going for, but at times it seems like she is over thinking it.


The album is full of powerful and thought provoking lyrics that actually pertain to real life issues, while reminding us that God loves us. In her single "Wanted" Dara says "You are wanted, to every broken heart, He stands with open arms, you are wanted", and that message of hope and encouragement is found all throughout the album.

I enjoyed listening to this album a lot more than I thought I would. It still probably wouldn't be my go to album to listen to on a road trip or something, but I did really enjoy it. I would say that the first part of the album is better than the second part, because towards the end of the album the songs start to really blur together. But at the beginning the album is very strong!

I would recommend this album to fans of Chris August, Francesca Battistelli and Jason Castro.

1. Wanted
2. Our Only Hope
3. Set My People Free
4. Love Is
5. Good Enough
6. Step Into The Light
7. Blameless
8. You Are All I Need
9. Nobody But You
10. I Am Blessed
11. Made
12. Find Rest

No comments: