Monday, September 10, 2012

Toby Mac - Eye On It Album Review


I have been a huge fan of Toby Mac from the beginning with him first album "Momentum". I fell in love with his fun hip hop/rock music on his first 3 albums. Toby's 4th album "Tonight" was a bit of a let down for me because to me it wasn't quite as good as his 2 previous albums. So when I heard he was releasing a new album this fall called "Eye On It" I was excited, yet nervous. So for starters I will say that this album is not like Toby's old stuff, but I decided to take a non-biased approach to reviewing this album.




The album starts off with the song "Me Without You". This song is a very fun song, perfect for cruising with your windows down! This song has a great beat as well! The lyrics talk basically about how rescues us from ourselves and so where would we be without him. The next song on the album is "Steal My Show". This song is a little slow but still has a good groove. The lyrics of this song are really good, talking about how Toby wants God to come in and steal the show. This song helps to put things into perspective, at least for me.

Next is the self titled track "Eye On It". This song has a very current sound with the electronic effects and an infectious beat! I can't wait to see what Toby will do with this song in concert!!! The next song "Forgiveness" is the song I was most excited to hear on this album, because Lecrae guest stars. This song isn't exactly what I expected for the combination, but I still really like it. I think Toby and Lecrae need to team up a lot more.....maybe even tour together sometime!!! The next song on the album is called "Speak Life". In this song the chorus gets repeated a lot, which I don't always like....but it is very catchy and enjoyable to listen to. Plus once again this song has a great groove/beat as well.

Bringing the rock is the next song "Unstoppable". This song also features guest star Blanca from Group 1 Crew. This has more of the electronic sound mixed with rock and even some pretty cool rap by Mr. Toby Mac himself. Toby and Blanca sound really good together as well. The next song on the album is "Lose Myself". As the title suggests this song talks about losing yourself to find God. A challenging message mixed with a fun and energy packed sound, would be the best way to describe this song.

Taking things down a notch with a slower sound and piano, is the next song "Family". This reminds me a lot of "City On Our Knees" from Toby's previous album. However this song talks about fighting for your family. The next song "Thankful For You" is one of my favorites on the album. This song has an old school vibe that I just love, plus it is just super fun! Plus the lyrics are really good, and humbling. This song is one of the top Toby Mac song's ever for me. "Made For Me" is the next song and it talks about Toby's wife Amanda. This song has a Jamaican feel which I love! This song is really sweet, talking about how Toby's wife was made for him.

The next song "Mac Daddy" was another song I was excited to hear, and boy was I surprised. I have followed Tru-dog from the beginning when he was just little, then listening to this song my first thought was who is that!? This song is SO much better than a lot of his previous songs. You can tell Truett has learned a lot from his dad. I was also shocked at how well he can rap! I can't wait to see where he goes in life! The album finishes out on a softer note with "Favorite Song". This song has such a fun and yet relaxing sound, it is one of my favorites ever! You can even hear the Jamaican influence!

This album was even better than i thought, and i had high expectations! This album is one of my favorites now! I would have liked it to be a little longer....but other than that it was great! A lot of cool beats, some great vocals and guest stars and all together a polished up to date sound. You can tell that Toby knows what he is doing. The one thing that I really appreciate is that even though these songs have more of a mainstream sound the lyrics aren't lacking at all! Although this isn't the good old Toby Mac (which trust me I would love to hear again!) I would still highly recommend this album. I give it 4.5 stars, so almost a perfect score!




No comments: