Friday, September 7, 2012

Chris August - The Upside Of Down Review


Released August 21st 2012 is Chris August's newest album "The Upside Of Down".




Kicking off the album is the song "Center Of It". This song is a good opener, with an upbeat and pleasant sound. The lyrics in this song talk about how even when things don't work out God is there to help you out. After hearing the next song "The Upside Of Down" only once I fell in love with it. The sound is so fun and happy plus its easy to sing along with! The message is so true and yet something that we don't always think of. The song talks about how when you go through tough times you depend more on God so you are closer to Him, but when everything is going good you tend to just focus more on yourself.


Slowing things down a bit is the song "Amen". This song definitely has more of a worship/gospel sound, which is very powerful mixed with the lyrics of this song. The next song on the album is "This Side of Heaven". This song is kind of simple...but nice, although it is kind of short. The chorus of the song gets repeated quite a bit, so it is one of those songs that you will get stuck in your head. The next song "Restore" is one of my favorite songs on the album. Musically it doesn't stand out that much from the other songs, but the lyrics are incredible! I won't quote them all because it is like a story, so here is a link You tube it!


The next song on the album is "Let There Be Light". This song is also very catchy with an encouraging message. Yet another great worship song on this album is the next song "I Believe". This song is a little slower but I love it! The vocals shine which also means that the lyrics shine and it is great. Next with an interesting title is the song "1989". This song reminds me of a Country song mixed with some gospel sounds. In this song Chris reminisces about life as a 7 year old back in 1989.


Bringing a little funk is the next song "Unashamed Of You". With a fun and upbeat sound I think this song would be awesome in concert! The next song on the album is "A Little More Jesus". This song is a little slower than the previous song, but yet it is one of my favorites. It is quite repetitive but it is easy to sing along with and the end is just great! Now really bringing the gospel funk is the song "Let The Music Play". Man I love this song! It is so easy to sway and groove along with! I am not sure why I like this song so much but it has become one of my all time favorite songs!!!!


Slowing things back down to more of an acoustic and intimate worship feel is the next song "Water Into Wine". This song doesn't stand out to me as much as the previous, but it is still a good song. The next song on the album is called "Meant To Be". This song has some more lovey dovey lyrics, which I'm not as big of a fan of. Closing out the album on a more mellow note is the song "Truth Is Still True". This song lyrically is a good way to end the album, but musically the album doesn't end with a "BANG!"


I really enjoyed listening to this album. Although musically some songs sound quite similar it is still all really good. Lyrically I was really surprised at how much I connected with the songs, and how much they spoke to me and I am sure they will speak to other listeners as well. This is a great worship album and I would highly recommend it. Some parts I liked more than others, but I know I am definitely a big fan of Chris August now! I would give this album 4/5 stars.



  1. Center Of It
  2. The Upside Of Down
  3. Amen
  4. This Side of Heaven
  5. Restore
  6. Let There Be Light
  7. I Believe
  8. 1989
  9. Unashamed Of You
  10. A Little More Jesus
  11. Let The Music Play
  12. Water Into Wine
  13. Meant To Be
  14. Truth Is Still True


No comments: