Sunday, March 3, 2013

Altar Ego Book Review



Best selling author and pastor Craig Groeschel challenges readers to explore who they really are in his new book Altar Ego. In this book Craig takes you on a journey from where you are to where God wants and knows you can be.



At first going into to Altar Ego I figured it would be pretty simple, probably something you have heard many times before just worded a little different. That was my honest impression before reading it. However God has proven to me yet again...don't judge a book by it's cover. I am so glad that I gave the book a chance and read it!



Altar Ego is one of those books I could read again and again, yet still get something different out of it each time. I have heard some of the ideas in this book before, but never broken down so well and easy to grasp. All of the stories and metaphors really drive the message home and make all of it easy to understand.

The main part of this book that really hit me was that God doesn't use the best or the worst people, he uses you. Now I have heard this countless times from many different people, but I wasn't able to fully grasp it and believe it until I read this book. Craig uses the illustration of how in school the teacher would pick a student to go run an errand for her. She wouldn't necessarily pick the smartest kid, or the fastest kid, she would give  each student a chance or a turn. The best line, which I will continue to use, is "I might not be the best, but baby I've got a hall pass!"



The second section of the book which is all about patience, integrity, honor and gratitude, really stood out to me as well. There is so much fresh insight in Altar Ego and so many funny stories, which make this book interesting and it sucks you in. I read this book in less than 2 days. It was so good I couldn't put it down. I haven't come across a book like that in a while.

I could ramble on and on about this book all day but to sum it up, YOU need to read it. YOU the person who is struggling with feeling like you don't matter, like God can't use you because your nothing special or not as good as "fill in the blank". YOU need to read this book and grasp just how special you are! This book gets a perfect score, all 5 stars!


No comments: