Monday, March 24, 2014

Shonlock Interview

Shonlock released his new album "A Night To Remember" last week. I got a chance to ask Shon, about the new album as well as how he got started, and what God has been teaching him lately. Check it out!




Can you give us a little background history on how you got started doing music?

I started off as a hip-hop dancer. My Mom is a good dancer so I think I picked it up from her. When I was little, I pretended to be James Brown and peoples' reaction to it was interesting. It all started out as playing, but as my family cheered me on, I started to really feel it! I think I was bit by the entertainment bug then.


How did you meet TobyMac and start working with him?

I met TobyMac through G.R.I.T.S, a group that was signed to Toby's label. There were a few groups on Toby's label that I did choreography for and told me he liked what he saw. When he decided to go solo from DC talk he asked me if I would come out and help them with the state show. We also went to the same church and played basketball on Tuesday nights.


What lead you to start working on your own solo career, rather than just working with TobyMac?

Well, singing and dancing were always a hobby for me and as soon as I got the job working with Toby, a couple of my friends that were in the industry encouraged me to  put out the music that I was doing in my basement. Reluctantly I did it, and pressed up 500 copies of a seven song EP.


What do you hope listeners will get from listening to your music?

Honesty and a hope for the future through Christ.


You have a new album coming out called "A Night To Remember". What can you tell us about this album?

 It's a gumbo of eclectic God-centered goodness!




I really enjoyed your previous release "Never Odd Or Even". How does this new album compare to your previous one? 

They don't really compare..I'm in a new season so the message God breathed through me is for now. It's the best project I've ever done.


On your new album "A Night To Remember" what song stands out to you as the most personal song for you?

I really liked making "Heartbreak." It was the song that set the tone for the album.


Where do you typically get your inspiration for writing a song?

 I'm inspired by life and random conversations that seem to turn in to songs.


How does your family inspire you, in everyday life, as well as in your music?

Having kids showed me a whole new view of how God feels about us. So that kind of love bleeds into music


What is something that you feel God has been trying to show/teach you recently?

Gods hand is on every aspect of my life. He has walked me through some tough times to prove it over and over again, to the point were I would be crazy to doubt him. The confidence and understanding of the spirit inside of me has grown and I move accordingly.


Five Random Bonus Questions

1. What is your favorite snack food?

My wife's mint Oreo marshmallow popcorn.


2. If you could be any character from a movie, who would you be and why?

Leonids from the movie 300 because he was a fearless leader! Lol


3. What is the best piece of advice that you have ever been given?

Don't fear them and trust what God said in spite of what it looks like.


4. If you had one day to do anything, anywhere, what would you do?

I would go to Dubai


5. What is something that most people don't know about you?

I'm a detail freak.

You can connect with Shonlock on:

No comments: