Monday, August 15, 2011

Crazy Love Book Review

Before I read "Crazy Love" I had heard alot of great things about it, that is what made me want to read it. Some of my friends had recommended it and Hawk Nelson named their newest album "Crazy Love" after the book, so I figured it would be worth it to read this book. I was right it was definitely worth reading.


The book is basically Challenging Christians to not be normal, or not to be the typical Christian. I agreed with alot of the teaching in this book about not being a lukewarm Christian. There was just one part that I wasn't sure about, in one of the chapters Francis says "As I see it, a lukewarm Christian is an oxymoron; there's no such thing. To put it plainly, churchgoers who are 'lukewarm' are not Christians. We will not see them in heaven." Now I do not know everything and I don't claim that I know everything but I am not sure I really agree with that. There are two verses that I would like to share with you guys first is Revelation 3:15-16 "I know your deeds, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm I am about to spit you out of my mouth." and then the other verse "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God" - Ephesians 2:8. So depending on how you believe you can twist a verse to fit what you believe. Just wanted to show you those verses and I know you all have your own opinions, which is great.


All in all "Crazy Love" has alot of good points that make you stop and think. It has alot of challenging parts. One part that I want to share says "Most of us use 'I'm waiting for God to reveal his calling on my life' as a means of avoiding action. Did you hear God calling you to sit in front of the television yesterday? Or to go on your last vacation? Or exercise this morning? Probably not, but you still did it. The point isn't that vacations or exercise are wrong, but that we are quick to rationalize our entertainment and priorities yet are slow to commit to serving God." That is only one part in this book that really spoke to me an really challenged me there were also other parts.

I really enjoyed reading "Crazy Love" as I said it spoke to me in alot of ways and it has made me look at my relationship with God, it didn't make me doubt if I am actually a Christian but it could some people. Just know who you are and whose you are and don't let the challenges in this book make you doubt your relationship with God, just let them challenge you to become the Disciple God wants you to be. I would give this book a 4.5/5. To pick up your own copy of "Crazy Love" check out this page. If you have read "Crazy Love" let me know what you thought.....leave a comment or shoot me an at thechristianmusicjunkie@gmail.com

1 comment:

The Other Alice said...

Nice review and I like how you bring the statements back to Scripture. Also the point about 'waiting for God' is great. I haven't read the book, so I don't know, but maybe what the author is trying to say about 'no such thing as a lukewarm Christian' is that someone who bears the name 'Christian' but does not LOVE GOD or has no understanding of the Gospel, let alone a desire to tell people about it, is probably not really born again. (Whew! That was a long sentence!) We should always be improving our relationship with God our whole life long, so just because it's not perfect NOW doesn't mean we don't have one. We've all got plenty to work on and there are certainly quiet periods as well as tough ones. However, if somebody's not growing at all, they should wonder if the seed had fallen on good ground or not, and hence withered.

Whew! Well anyway I thought your review was very nice and your closing remarks were great. Have a good week!