Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Matthew Parker - Shadowlands Review

DREAM Records started a new branch of their label called DROM which specializes in EDM (Electronic Dance Music). One of the first artists to release an album through DROM is the up and coming, Matthew Parker. 

  

  Initially approaching the album I was hesitant, and didn't have very high expectations. Considering that I had never heard of Matthew Parker before, I figured that he was a very big (popular) artist, therefor his music wouldn't be very good. I was wrong.

  Now I will admit going into this that I am no expert when it comes to EDM (Electronic Dance Music). I don't know how difficult it is to make, or to achieve certain sounds, I am slightly clueless in this area of the Christian music industry. However I do know what I like, and what I think sounds good. With that being said, I'll tell you this... I like this album... A LOT.

  
  Shadowlands is packed full of energetic dance beats, and head bobbin' rhythms. This is one of those albums that you can't sit still while listening to it. You will either be tapping your foot, bobbing your head or just straight up dancing! I would LOVE to this entire album at a dance party, with the flashing lights, all the people and all the energy. I feel like that would be amazing! 

  Overall the whole album is pretty solid, but there are a few tracks that stand out to me as really strong songs. One of them being MouseTrap (feat. Skrip). With an instrumental intro that is over a minute long, that builds anticipation, without losing interest, and then Skrip laying down some dope raps, this song is a highlight on the album for me. It sounds like something you'd hear from Lecrae or Andy Mineo. 

  Another standout track would be All Around De World (feat. St Matthew). This song has a fun blend of dupstep and reggae, which makes for a deadly combination! Sounding similar to something you might hear from Benjah, but with more dubstep, this song is my favorite on the album. I love the crazy combination, and how well it works together. 


In an interview that I did with Matthew I asked him about his new album Shadowlands, and he said:

"The idea behind the project was "I want to do something BIG and really try to make the most perfect album I can----Kinda put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak".

I think that was definitely a wise choice that Matthew made, because he is now on the radar of a lot of people in the Christian music industry. People who could open up doors for him to tour with Lecrae, or on the Winter Jam tour, or even other artists just looking to collaborate with him. There are a lot of possibilities, and I look forward to seeing what other doors God opens up for Matthew as his career continues to grow.

All in all I really enjoyed Shadowlands. Matthew Parker definitely has some skills. I would have appreciated a couple more songs, that thumped a little more, with some more bass and more a bit more of story told in some of the songs. However, this is still an all around solid album. If you're a fan of EDM, I recommend that you pick up Shadowlands.



Below you can listen to Matthew's song "We Go". Check it out, and if you like it then be sure to pick up the whole album on iTunes. 



You can connect with Matthew Parker on:


No comments: