Monday, September 15, 2014

Boiling Point - Interview

Today I have the pleasure of introducing you to a new up-and-coming Christian alt. rock band, called Boiling Point. Their new album More, releases tomorrow. So I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask the band a few questions about how they got started, and what we can expect from their new album. 






Can you give us a little background history on how you got started playing music?


Music has always been a part of our family. My mom was both a piano teacher and a church organist who could out sing an entire congregation of people if she wanted to. All four of us kids learned how to play the piano from her and we all moved on to different instruments from there. My youngest sister is really the only one in the family who no longer plays music, but interestingly enough, she is still involved in the music industry with a job at LiveNation.



What is the story behind the band name Boiling Point?


Our name as a band is a pretty straight-forward metaphor. The boiling point is that point at which water evaporates – representing a fundamental change even while the elements remain the same. At the boiling point, we are energized and dispersed. In the same way, we feel that once a person comes into relationship with Jesus, they can experience similar change in their lives. We are then sent out to be God’s hand and feet.



How would you describe your sound musically, and who are some of your influences?


I have always described our sound as pop/rock or alt rock. We have a fondness for Switchfoot, Foo Fighters, Keith Urban, Muse, The Fray, Matchbox 20 and others. All the band members have a pretty unique musical background, so it is kind of fun to come together and see what we can create with all of our various perspectives!



What is the main message that you are trying to convey to listeners through your music?


Regardless of where we play, we always try to convey a message of hope.  The members of the band have all found hope in Christ, but some people just aren’t there yet and we don’t want to make assumptions about people we may not know. 

I know that with a lot of people I have talked to, faith has often been best approached with baby steps. I have found that seeds sown from honest conversations about faith have the greatest chance to grow into life changes.



Your new album More releases on September 16th. What can you tell us about this album?


We are really excited about this album. We had the chance to work with some really amazing people and together we made an incredible record. There are certainly themes that run through the album and we hope people can relate to them in a very basic way. Things like realizing you were made for more than being the sum of your scars, finding hope when all seems lost & realizing you are never alone.



Personally, what is your favorite song on the new album?


I have a lot of favorite songs, but the one that I have really enjoy listening to lately is “Stay With Me.” I wrote this song for a friend of mine who is going through a lot. I wanted her to know that she is never alone. I hope that the song offers her solace and the hope to know that she can be who she is and people will still love her regardless.



I really like your song Ordinary Girl. Where did you get the inspiration for writing that song?


I think the best way to answer this question is by talking about an article I read a few days ago in my local paper. The headline of the article was Young girls asking the world: ‘Am I ugly?’ and the world answers. In the article, it talked about a 13 year old girl who had posted a video on YouTube asking the general public if she was pretty or ugly. The girl got all kinds of feedback and sadly a lot of it was negative.  

The song Ordinary Girl is about empowering girls to know that they are beautiful regardless of what people do or say about them. I can’t imagine how hard it would be to be a young girl growing up in this culture.  One thing I do know, however, is that we all have unique gifts, unique talents and a unique future in which we can use those things that God has given us for a unique purpose.  

I don’t believe that people or the gifts given are accidents. I believe we all have a purpose for this time and place and I hope that when girls listen to this song, they feel empowered to know that they are beautiful just as they are and that they have hope and a future that needs their talents. I also hope the song conveys that we are all most beautiful when we own who we are every day.


What is something that you are passionate about (other than music) and why?



I have had the opportunity to go on mission trips to Sierra Leone four times, and it has profoundly changed my life. Going to Africa has given me a new perspective on life and relationships, and on finding joy in the simple things.


Where do you see Boiling Point in 5 years?



This is actually a really hard question to answer. Of course, we’d love to still be doing music and doing it at a high level, but we have never been a band that is bent out of shape over the idea of “making it” or doing this forever. We have always been more about enjoying the journey and not missing the relationships that come about because of what we do. We’ll just have to see what God has in mind for us. Whatever it is, we will do our best to listen and follow.






Who has been the biggest inspiration in your life?


My mom has been one of the biggest influences in my life. She was such an example of unwavering faith and extravagant love. She was also passionate about music and ministry and she was a defining person in my life. She has probably had one of the largest hands in shaping me into who I am and who my brother is. We lost our mom to cancer 15 months ago, and still think of her and strive to live up to the example she set.



What is the best piece of advice that you have ever been given?


I think the best piece of advice I have ever gotten or heard was to do what you love. At the end of the day, we all have so many different paths that we can take. However, if you follow your heart and do what you love and what you feel called to do, I think things have a way of working themselves out in the best way. I’ve always believed that God gives us certain calls and desires so that we can respond to that and do something great with the gifts that we are given.



Five Random Bonus Questions

1. What is the craziest thing you have ever done?


One of the craziest things I ever did was go on a first date with a girl less than 24 hours before I was leaving that city to move halfway across the country. Best decision I ever made: that woman is now my wife.



2. Camping or Hotels?


I live in Minnesota and we have mosquitoes the size of small birds so I lean toward hotels. I’ve have spent enough time outside being eaten by Minnesota unofficial state bird, the mosquito.  



3. What is your favorite movie line?


‘All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.’ – Gandalf the Grey



4. If you had one day to do anything, anywhere, what would you do?


I would spend the day with my wife in some really unique location.  We’d spend the day hanging out and maybe going on a hike and end it with a wonderfully cooked meal!  



5. What is your favorite food?


Anything my wife makes.  She has a gift for just making the best food out of random stuff in the kitchen.  


Thank you for taking the time to do this interview! Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thanks for the opportunity!  :D

You can connect with Boiling Point on:


No comments: