Thursday, April 3, 2014

Samantha Crawford

Today I would like to introduce you to an up and coming Christian R&B/Soul artist named Samantha Crawford. 

I had the opportunity to ask Sam a few questions about how she first got started creating music and what inspires her. You will also learn some interesting random facts about her, so make sure you check it out!




Can you give us a little background history on how you got started playing music?

I have been singing for as long as I can recall, took piano lessons at age 7, but really fell in love with writing in my early teen years. I picked up a guitar and mainly wrote and played sappy love songs. 

At 18 I really began to get back to the keys, and started writing songs that I can say I'm proud of. My music started taking a much more spiritual turn, and has grown increasingly more so as I've grown older.


Who are some of your musical influences?

My sound carries a strong 60's soul/Motown influence, a la Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding. I really love 90's hip hop, Lauryn Hill is a musical hero of mine. 

Add a touch of female singer/songwriters like Fiona Apple, and Norah Jones. Some Christian artist I  admire are Sara Groves, Sufjan Stevens, Needtobreathe


What instruments do you play?

I play piano and guitar, and sing. that's my skill set.


What do you hope listeners will get from listening to your music?

I hope people are touched by God through my songs. I hope they incite hope, pull at your heartstrings, make you move your feet.


Where do you typically get your inspiration for writing a song?

My inspiration is most certainly from the Holy Spirit. All the best songs I've ever written have come out of me being in a place of prayer, asking God to write through me. I am very blessed by nature. Being outside, running, walking, riding bike, are all places that a lot of songs are born.


How does your family inspire you, in everyday life, as well as in your music?

I am married to an awesome man named Josh, and have to stepsons, Jakob and Isaak. They inspire me by requiring me to be a better person. They stretch me into a place that I couldn't get on my own.



What is the best piece of advice that you have ever been given?

The best piece of advice? probably to shut up.


What is something that you feel God has been trying to show/teach you recently?

God has been humbling me lately, by showing me how often my "acts of worship" are before men and not Him. I am the worship pastor at my church, so it is a constant struggle to lead worship, while staying in a place of intimate worship myself.


Five Random Bonus Questions

1. What is your favorite food?

I am truly a lover of all food. I cannot state a favorite. I am known for my hollow leg. :)


2. If you could be any character from a movie, who would you be, and why?

If I could be a character from a movie, I would choose a character that was first in a book. Most likely Lucy from  The Chronicles of Narnia. I'm a huge Narnia nerd.


3. Do you have any pets? 

I have a gray cat named Lincoln


4. If you had one day to do anything, anywhere, what would you do?

My dream day, if time and space were not limited, would be to wake up, eat a good breakfast, and fly to some of the places that I 've always dreamed of going. First stop, Ireland. Then off to Angel Falls in South America, followed by a flyover above the rocky mountains. 

After lunch I would go on an epic bike ride to lake Michigan, and have a swim in Arcadia. I would spend the night on the beach with my friends and family around a bonfire, singing and reading scripture, looking up at an especially starry sky.


5. What is something that most people don't know about you?

Most people don't know that I write poetry, and struggle with severe anxiety. At least, you wouldn't know just from meeting me. I keep it pretty well under wraps. The Lord is healing me though, year by year, layer by layer.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love uplifting music so much. I would love to find more of these types of songs to just brighten my day. Great review, it looks like I'll be looking into this music. http://www.themullettfamily.com/