Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tenth Avenue North - The Struggle Album Review


Tenth Avenue North released there newest album "The Struggle" on August 21st, 2012.






The album starts off with a song called "Shadows". This song definitely has a Tenth Avenue North sound, with a lot of energy. The chorus of the song says "Oh, Lord, light up my dark eyes / teach me to let go / I've been runnin' / chasing nothing but shadows". Next is the self-titled song "The Struggle". This song is one of the best song s on the album in my opinion. Musically it is upbeat and fun. Lyrically it is amazing...... very encouraging.

Starting off slower with piano is the next song "Worn". Since this song is a little slower it could pretty easily be boring, however between Mike Donehey's vocals and the fantastic lyrics, this song is anything but boring. The message in this song is so powerful I am thrilled to see how people are affected by it. The next song on the album is called "Losing". This song also has a very nice sound and great lyrics. (Are you seeing a trend?)The lyrics are quite challenging, talking about forgiving people who have wronged you.

The next song "Don't Stop The Madness" probably my favorite song lyrically. I could easily just go through and quote the entire song, but my favorite part is "But all I hear is what they're selling me / That God is love, He isn't suffering / And what you need's a little faith in prosperity / But oh, my God, I know there's more than this / If You promise pain, it can't be meaningless". The next song on the album is called "Where Life Will Never Die". This song is a nice little change up because it has more of an energetic sound. Plus I just love the drums! Next is a song called "Strangers Here". This song talks about how this earth is not our home, and this earthly pain is just temporary.

When the next song "Grace" starts the sound of it reminds me of some old school, classic Newsboys. I am not sure why it reminds me of that, perhaps it already has a classic sound. Anyway the song has a great sound and the chorus is especially fantastic.  "All The Same" is the next song on the album. The message of this song is basically saying no matter where your at or where you came from, we are all the same and we all need God's love. Changing up the sound slightly is the next song "Hostage Of Peace". This song has more energy, which a lot of it is thanks to the drums! ;D The lyrics are also really good. My favorite part is "If we're fighting let it be for your kingdom / If we're violent let it be against ourselves".





The next song on the album is "You Do All Things Well". This song is truly beautiful, and also quite easy to sing along with. I think this song would be a good one for church worship bands to play. Finishing out the album is the song "Lamb Of God". This song is slower and piano driven with some violin. This song also has a great sound, my favorite part is when a bunch of people all start to sing together. It just proves that this song would be amazing in concert.

At first listening to this album I honestly was a little disappointed. However after hearing it more and really listening to the lyrics, I fell in love with it. Lyrically the entire album is very encouraging and as the title suggests the album is just about dealing with struggles. I really enjoyed this album, although I am not yet sure if it is as good as there previous albums....but I will have to wait and see. I would give this album 4.5 stars.


Tenth Avenue North is now out on The Struggle Tour with Audrey Assad and Rend Collective Experiment. For more information you can go here.



No comments: