Monday, November 17, 2014

Anomaly Tour Review

  After the wild success of Lecrae's new album Anomaly reaching #1 on Billboard charts, he set out on his nation wide Anomaly tour with Reach Records label mate and 116 member Andy Mineo, along with DJ Promote. The Anomaly tour came to The Deltaplex in Grand Rapids, MI on October 30th. I was able to attend the show and write a review. My review of the tour is below!





  Kicking things off for the evening was DJ Promote. He came out and spun some tracks for the audience, entertaining them while at the same time building anticipation. For just being one guy up there he was able to really get the crowd hyped up!

  DJ Promote played a lot of popular dance or club type music, throwing in some teasers of Lecrae and Andy Mineo to get fans excited for their sets later on in the night. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed his set. I think I would go to a concert even if he was the only one playing, because it was a lot of fun!


  After DJ Promote came Andy Mineo, who I was especially excited to see. I am a huge fan of Andy's music, so getting to hear it live was fantastic! The stage was set up with all the different symbols from Andy's Neverland EP up there, and they lit up as he played different songs that pertained to each image.  There were also huge LED screens as a back drop that played videos, it really helped to tie everything together.


  I really enjoyed Andy's set. He had a lot of fun up there, rapping, skateboarding and even telling funny stories that engaged the audience. Andy was very animated which makes him a great performer, but he also has a serious side when he talks about why he wrote certain songs and the struggles in his life and how he has overcome them.

  Andy Mineo delivered a fantastic performance playing his classics such as Ayo! and Can't Stop Me. The crowd was definitely excited and engaged during Andy's show. The energy was infectious, so much so that Andy even decided to crowd surf! The fans loved it, I even heard people talking about it after the whole concert was over and people were leaving. Andy definitely left a good impression.


  Then after a brief intermission, came the moment we had been waiting for, Lecrae took the stage! The crowd went nuts, screaming and clapping. Lecrae delivered a strong and solid performance including a lot of his new songs from the Anomaly album.

  There were some really parts of Lecrae's set, one of them being that towards the end he had a wedding reception dance party, complete with a disco ball. After playing his new song "All I Need Is You", the DJ started playing some wedding reception songs that you would dance to after a wedding. While the crowd was distracted dancing, Lecrae snuck out to a small stage toward the back of the room and surprised everyone!


  Lecrae's show was a lot of fun, but I was surprised by how serious it was as well. I had seen him at a festival earlier this summer and it was more of a fun dance party concert. The Anomaly tour however was much more serious and it left you thinking about a lot when you left. It was really moving and inspiring. Now don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun, but it was much more than just a fun concert.

  Lecrae shared some of his struggles and life stories, he shared the meaning behind some of the songs as well. It just felt more Lecrae was pouring his heart out to God and to the crowd, than it did that he was rapping at us. I really appreciated the depth he offered with his performance.

  My one complaint with Lecrae's set was that he didn't play enough old school music! Now I know that it's nearly impossible to play every song that everyone wants to hear, so I can understand why Lecrae didn't play them all. I just wish that I could have added a few more to the set list! ;)


  All in all I really enjoyed the Anomaly tour. It was one of the most well thought out and put together tours I have been to. Everything flowed well, and with all the lights, videos and props it was a complete package. You could tell a lot of thought went into creating a great experience for fans. I really appreciate that.

  The only draw back for me, was that since it was so well put together I got the impression that they do this same show in every town. Which consistency is good, but I personally love it when God lays something on the artists heart and the concert takes a turn they weren't expecting. It was a great show though, and if you get a chance to check out the Anomaly tour, I HIGHLY recommend that you do so!

Enjoy more pictures from the concert below, courtesy of our photographer Blake.

Andy Mineo
Andy Mineo
Andy Mineo
Andy Mineo
Lecrae
Lecrae 
Lecrae
Lecrae

Lecrae
Lecrae


You can connect with Lecrae on:





No comments: